Here are a few of the storage tips our knowledgeable staff has learned over the years. If you have any questions, do not hesitate to ask! And if you have your own storage tips regarding packing, moving, or storage we’d love to hear from you.
Clean it First
Ensure you have vacuumed and cleaned all furniture thoroughly. One crumb can lead to a pest!
Keep Boxes Sturdy
Use newspaper, bubble wrap and peanuts to keep boxes full so they don't collapse when moving, stacking, or storing.
- • Wrap your furniture with bubble or shrink wrap to avoid dents, chips and exposure to dust.
- • Secure any loose items with tie downs or tape.
- • Tape dresser and appliance drawers shut so they don't open when lifting.
- • Remove furniture legs to reduce weight and simplify packing.
- • Tape Ziploc bags of screws & hardware to the furniture they belong to.
- • Ensure you have vacuumed and cleaned all furniture thoroughly. One crumb can lead to a pest!
- • Wrap sofa cushions and pillows in garbage or packing bags to keep them clean.
- • Wardrobe boxes are ideal for clothing.
- • China barrels and dish packs help keep your china and glassware safe.
- • Pack heavy items in smaller boxes that are easy to carry (i.e. books, canned goods, etc.)
- • Pack books flat to protect spines.
- • Extra large boxes are great for lighter items like toys, linens, blankets and shoes.
- • Small or Large Mirror Boxes are ideal for framed pictures and mirrors.
- • Seal boxes with lots of tape to keep dust out.
- • Label all boxes correctly on all four sides and top.
- • Use newspaper, bubble wrap and peanuts to keep boxes full so they don't collapse when moving, stacking or storing.
Keep it Bottom Heavy
Stack correctly! Heavy items on the bottom and light items on the top.
Keep appliance doors open to prevent mildew.
- • Gain space by removing furniture legs, dismantling bed frames, and placing smaller items inside drawers.
- • Store mirror boxes upright to avoid placing heavy items on top and causing damage.
- • Use sofa cushions and pillows as filler between items in your storage unit.
- • Keep your boxes and items organized so they are easy to get to.
- • It helps to create a walkway through contents in your unit. This will allow you to get to the box in the back without pulling everything out.
- • Store items you’re least likely to need at the back of the unit.
- • Stack correctly! Heavy items on the bottom and light items on the top.
- • Small equipment (mechanical/engine type items) should have gasoline removed.
- • Review appliance and equipment manuals to ensure you are storing items as directed.
- • Keep appliance doors open to prevent mildew.
Book your moving truck and movers early.
Update Canada Post of your new mailing address. Mail forwarding can be setup online @ www.canadapost.com
- • Update your driver's license and vehicle insurance information.
- • Make note of your utility meter readings.
- • Cancel or change your newspaper delivery.
- • Update your home insurance.